- Get out of your base fast. The faster you build nodes, the better chance you have beating the other team.
- Don't defend your base. I see this all the time. Teams that are losing start to hang around the base attempting to fend off attackers. Don't. The only sure way to avoid attacks on your base is to make sure your team controls the nodes.
- Playing "Instant Action" on your own? Prevent the bots from taking the best vehicles by repairing the vehicles (alt-click when using the link gun). Bots will veer away, leaving the ride for you.
- Another Instant action tip: Bots only go to the top of the central tower in Onslaught Torlan when the Redeemer is up there. If you start to see bots head up there, try to kill them and get there first.
- Give rides in vehicles leaving the base or any other node. A little teamwork goes a long way.
- Don't flak the Manta at the start of the game. If you get to the manta first, get in, but make it go lower so others can jump on. You can get three or four people on it besides the pilot. Drop everyone off at the first node so they can link and power it up fast.
- Set your keyboard up. The default setups are not intuitive. You don't want to think, just react. That means a good keyboard setup. Here's mine (I'm a lefty):
- right hand for the keyboard, left hand for the mouse.
- up, down, left, right arrows: movement.
- ctrl = up, shift = down. This works for both vehicles and personal movement (shift to crouch, ctrl to jump). This keeps my right hand on the arrow keys, with the ctrl and shift buttons in easy reach of my thumb.
- space = drop item or exit a vehicle (useful for the manta trick, described below).
- mouse wheel to scroll thru weapons.
- Trade graphics for speed. you don't need your system slowing you down during a mano-a-mano fight. Reduce graphics detail as much as you can stand while still keeping the game looking as good as possible.
- Shock gun tip: A lot of guys like to use the shock gun in one on one fights. The secret to surviving a shock gun attack is to run toward the attacker. He needs to be a certain distance from you for the weapon to be effective.
- Avoid one on one fights if you can. It's far more effective to fire the Goliath tank from a distance than to engage in personal battles.
- Kill the Gnome screensaver. If you are running in Linux (I'm using Jaunty), kill the screensaver before starting play. Otherwise, you get unpredictable behavior when it kicks in, which can be a problem during battles. I use a launcher bash script that looks like this:
- Ditch the assault rifle. It's useless, and I don't want to scroll through it with the mouse wheel. Toss it away with the ThrowWeapon key (usually the backslash).
- Turn off ambient sounds and music. You want to hear people coming up behind you!
- Manta trick: Fly at top speed directly toward someone. They will try to aim their Avril at you. Before they can lock on, jump out, which will prevent them from locking on, but the manta will continue forward and run over them!
- Turn off voice chat. Most teams don't use it effectively, and it is usually very annoying. Same with text to speech.
- If you get the Raptor coming out of the base at the start of the Torlan game, start the first node, then head to the central tower right away to get the Redeemer.
- Just after the game starts, head to the enemy base. There is usually no one there, and you can steal their shield and Big Keg o Health. It helps you and denies it to the enemy, always a good thing.
- If you are falling from a high place, activate your shield gun. Program your middle mouse button to activate the shield gun so you don't have to fumble with the keyboard.
- Turn on "always run". There is absolutely no point in walking anywhere.
- From the Hellbender side turret (the one that shoots out the energy balls that you can then shoot and cause a chain reaction), shoot the most distant ball first. This gives you an element of surprise.
- When in the hellbender rear turret, remember that many vehicles do not need a full charge to be destroyed. For example, destroying a Raptor takes one full charge on the first shot, then only a slight charge on the second shot. You do not need to wait for the weapon to fully charge again.
- Scorpion tip: Do not charge the weapon fully before firing. Just a short charge up to three energy balls, then let go. You get a much faster rate of fire than way. Keep doing it, and you can cause destruction to a node or enemy vehicle much more quickly than waiting for a full charge each time.
- The flack cannon is very effective against the Goliath (tank).
- You can shoot effectively from the bridge that goes over the central canyon in Torlan. But it is very hard to hit you unless the enemy comes up there.
- When powering up a node, pay attention to the energy level indicator (your maps must be on to see it!). When it turns from yellow to green, head to the next node. You do not need to power it up fully. It will continue powering up on its own. In Onslaught Torlan, the timing works out so the next node will be active exactly as you arrive there with the Manta.
- Don't try to guide the Redeemer toward a target. It is too easy to shoot down, expecially in Instant Action mode. Instead, sacrifice yourself in a suicide attack. For example, while above your target, say a node, jump out of the Raptor from a good height. While falling, select the Redeemer, then just before hitting the ground, fire it into the target. Try to land behind the turret so it protects you from the blast, and you might survive.
- If you are building nodes well, you will be able to tell the next enemy node to attack. Try to get there early to take out the turret, before the node is enabled for your attack. That way, the enemy has a much less effective defense, and you don't have to fight off the turret while trying to destroy the node.
- You don't have to be right up against a vehicle to get into it. Hit the "Use" key from a few steps away. This lets you get into a vehicle more quickly when you are racing a teammate for the Manta.
- Transporting to the center node takes you into the canyon when the double damage is about to appear.
- When fighting in the Goliath (tank), turn the tank body in the same direction as the turret to swing the gun around faster.
killall gnome-screensaver 2>/dev/null